Use your own blood to reduce wrinkles, heal scars, lighten sun spots, and boost collagen!
To answer this question, one must first understand what platelets are! Platelets, also called thrombocytes, are blood cells that play a key role in healing and growth within the human body. When your body is injured, platelets rush to site to help clot your blood and start repair. Plasma is simply the clear liquid within your blood.
Before + After Photos
Photos courtesy of Faces in Bloom.
Keep in mind that each patient is unique, and your results may vary.
Simply put, Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) is a high concentration of your body’s growth factors that when injected or microneedled into the face/scalp/body, can repair problem areas that otherwise would not be repaired. PRP has been used for centuries during joint surgeries to decrease recovery time. It is also a very common practice used among professional athletes and in hair restoration clinics.
- Acne & Acne Scarring
- Thinning hair/Male Pattern Baldness
- Hyperpigmentation & Sun Spots
- Fine Lines/Wrinkles
- Uneven Skin Tone & Texture
- Large Pores
- Excess Sebum Production/Oil Control
- Skin Laxity/Aging Skin
- Dry, Flaky Skin
- Dull Complexion
When you arrive at your Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) appointment, your provider will greet you and begin by taking “before” photos of your desired treatment area. Once this is done, they will complete a thorough assessment of your skin to see if a PRP treatment would be appropriate for you. Your provider will take the time to listen to your facial concerns, as well as explain the risks/benefits of the procedure prior to proceeding.
Once a plan is agreed upon, approximately 20 cc’s of your blood will be drawn and spun in a centrifuge. This process separates your blood cells from the PRP, which is bright yellow in color and carries the nickname “liquid gold.” This yellow fluid is carefully drawn up into syringes by your provider, for them to inject or microneedle it into your desired treatment area.
If you are undergoing a PRP microneedling treatment, a topical analgesic will be applied to reduce discomfort during the procedure. After adequate numbing, your provider will lean you back in the chair and begin making “passes” with the SkinPen®, using your PRP as an infusion serum. Thousands of micro injuries are created with the SkinPen®, allowing your PRP to reach deep into the dermis, where greater healing can occur! In total, your PRP microneedling appointment should last approximately 90 minutes from start to finish.
Everyone’s healing process varies, but it is safe to expect approximately 3 days of social downtime for PRP microneedling, as your skin will go through several stages after your treatment. Immediately post microneedling, your skin will be red and inflamed. We recommend that you do not make any plans the same day your treatment is conducted. After 24 hours, your skin will change from red to pink tinged (light sunburn-looking) and you may break out with surface blackheads/pimples. On days 2-4 after treatment, your skin may feel dry and begin to peel. This is an anticipated reaction that can occur from your body getting rid of old skin cells to make room for newly created ones. It is important that you do NOT use any harsh chemicals or active ingredient products (such as retinoids or glycolic/salicylic acids) post microneedling for 3 days. We highly recommend avoiding sun exposure, wearing a mineral, broad spectrum SPF, and using an emollient moisturizer during your recovery period.
If you are undergoing a PRP microneedling, please follow the list below:
- Use an antioxidant serum and prescription-strength retinoid for the 30 days leading up to your appointment.
- Do not stop using your retinoid, as it greatly increases microneedling benefits. Contact Faces in Bloom to ensure that you’re on a recommended product.
- Avoid the use of anti-inflammatory medications for at least three days prior to your treatment.
- These medications can interfere with the body’s natural inflammatory process. Examples include IBUPROFEN®, ALEVE®, ASPIRIN®, and MOTRIN®.
- Refrain from receiving any IPL/laser procedures, unprotected sun exposure, or sunburn for two weeks prior to your treatment.
- If you are someone who is prone to cold sores, please take your antiviral medication (acyclovir or valacyclovir) on the morning of your treatment, as well as 12 hours after your first dose.
- Take 650mg of Tylenol one hour prior to your appointment for pain reduction.
- Arrive to the clinic with a clean face, free of any lotions, oils, makeup, powder, or sunscreens.
The thought is: the healthier one is prior to their treatment, the better and more effective their PRP will be. Therefore, we encourage you to partake in healthy lifestyle choices prior to your treatment and avoid excessive alcohol consumption and fatty food intake.
If you are ill on the day of your scheduled PRP treatment, please reschedule.
Although many of our patients report results within 1-2 weeks of treatment, the most drastic results occur after 4-6 weeks, as it takes this amount of time for the body to finish creating new collagen and elastin. If executed in the recommended series of 4 treatment sessions, one month apart, results significantly increase and will continue to develop over the following months.
- We use Dr. PRP, which is the most advanced PRP system available. In fact, a large number of physicians/surgeons conducting PRP injections for joint repair use the trusted, Dr. PRP system. The platelet recovery percentage of Dr. PRP is higher than the minimum recovery percentage of other similar products. What does that mean to you? Better, more consistent results!
- Our membership program! Members of our loyalty program at Faces In Bloom are given PRP treatments at reduced rates! They also receive discounts on wrinkle relaxer injections, dermal filler, microneedling, medical-grade skincare products, KYBELLA®, and chemical peels, as well as an exclusive referral program. We appreciate continued business and feel it’s necessary to reward our tried and true.
PRP is recommended in a series of 4 treatments, 6-8 weeks apart, for best results when treating hair loss, acne scarring, and hyperpigmentation. Single treatments can be used for collagen regeneration and overall complexion improvement.
- PRP microneedling and/or injection treatments:
- Individual treatment: $650
- Recommended bundle of 4:
- Members $2200 ($400 savings; $550 per treatment)
- Non-members: $2400 ($200 savings; $600 per treatment)